A Website is a location on the Internet which is publically accessible with a web address. It is a collection of webpages, images, videos which are addressed relative to a common URL. Websites are about driving traffic and being seen.
A Web Portal is a gateway to the Internet. It’s not only a website but also you can search the web, online shopping, and lot to do. Portals are about limiting traffic to the right set of users and providing services.
Portals are also accessed using a web browser and a specific URL, but the content here is login protected and user specific.
Some commonly known web portals are garipoint.com (car portal), makemytrip.com (travel portal), 99acres.com (property portal) while websites are Wikipedia and more.
Features that a Website possess
- Content is visible to everyone.
- Content remains same for different individuals.
- No user activities like login required.
- Supports the user in the specific task.
- Educate site visitors about industry information, products, and services.
- Does not reference personalized database.
Features that a Web Portal possess
- Public and Private interface.
- Access for multiple user roles.
- Personal login is required.
- Dynamic content changes frequently than websites.
- Content is unique to the user based on group member settings.
- Offers content from diverse sources.